It is official! Summer 2019 has arrived in the Northern Hemisphere. We celebrated the beautiful summer solstice last week and now we welcome in summer.
Of course here in the Midwest where I live, we are still a literally bogged down with rain, storms and flooding. While I don’t look forward to upper 90’s with humidity of 95%, honestly we can use a little drying out, so I welcome the hot sun for a while.
In honor of summer officially kicking off, I wanted to share some of my favorite summer self care tips!
1. Get outside! It is so important to get outside and let yourself be bathed in what Mother Nature has to offer in her lush summer bounty. No matter where you live, or the season, she has something special to offer us. I am a huge proponent of being out in Mother Nature as a way to deeply nurture your body and soul. I always feel better when I can get outside even if it is just to stand on my porch and take a few breaths.
Plan something outside every day. Take a walk in a nearby park you haven’t explored yet, plan a camping, hiking or canoeing trip where you can linger a bit in nature. Sit on your patio or porch and sip a cool drink and watch the sunset.
There are so many ways to enjoy Mother Nature and her healing energy. It is healing because the vibrational frequency of the earth is closely matched to that of our body and that creates great resonance…our bodies LOVE it. It’s like hanging out with your bestie! Not to mention just the beautiful sites, sounds and smells she provides. It really is soothing to our Soul!
2. Put your bare feet on the earth. This dovetails with number 1. When you are out there…take your shoes off and get those bare feet on the earth! Remember how as a kid we LOVED to be barefoot? Well just go back there for a few minutes and let yourself feel how cool, solid and yummy it feels to have your feel bare to the earth. Maybe even be brave and dig your toes in a bit (you can wash your feet later!).
Placing your bare feet (or heck your whole body!) on the ground helps you directly connect in with the earth and her vibration. It reminds me of the skin to skin connection we encourage mommy’s and baby’s to do. Its nurturing and fills us up in a way words really can’t describe. We do call her Mother Earth after all…so maybe its time we get some “skin to skin” connection with our earth mama!
3. Essential oils are your summer time friend. Well truthfully they are your year round friend…but in summertime they really come through for us. While being outside affords us so many benefits and pleasure…it also has its not so fun side. Bugs, burns, bites….Oh my! So this year take care of yourself more naturally. I love using Terra Shield spray to help keep the pests away. When I do get a bite, I use Lavender oil right on the bite and the itch and swelling are on their way out! I also love to add lavender to my lotion or a spray bottle with water to mist on my skin if I get a bit too much sun. Here is a little article you might want to read on being safe from bugs naturally.
I also love adding citrus oils to my water for a refreshing, cleansing and healthy addition to my body. It seems to brighten the afternoon to add a little tangerine to a glass of water! Just a little safety note on citrus oils…they are photo sensitive, so don’t use them topically when you are going to be out in the sun.
4. Get your hands in the dirt. Getting our hands in the dirt and cultivating plants is one of the easiest ways for me to unwind and slow down a bit. I don’t have a big garden, but every year I plant several planters of my favorite perennials, a few herbs and maybe a few veggies. It’s one of my favorite late spring weekend activities. Going to the nursery and picking out plants, working the dirt into the pots and planting the small little tendrils and watering them with care. Watching as the days and weeks go on as they grow and blossom and make everything around them brighter and a little happier! Gardening on any level provides another way we connect with something bigger than us…with this greater universal life force energy that connects us with EVERY THING and EVERY ONE. You don’t have to go big…just a pot with a plant or two that brings you joy and adds some of Mother Nature’s beauty close to home.
5. Take it easy. Are you singing? Ha Ha! As soon as I typed that…I went straight to that Eagles tune in my mind. So funny how things like that are so indelible in our brains! Back to my point… Yes take it a little easy this summer. Allow some lazy days or afternoons. Give yourself some space to let the wonder of summer have its way with you. The world is lush this time of year…allow time and space to feel this fullness, the blossoming and blooming that occurs with lots of sunlight and warmth. Find something you can take off your to-do list and just allow a little more space and ease.
6. Have some fun. Remember when we were kids how summer was for fun? It’s actually summers mantra I think! Songs are written about it, advertising is geared to it, yet somehow once we become adults we often forget to have fun, to be playful and maybe even a bit silly. As kids we could find fun anywhere with the most simplest of surroundings. Running through a hose, catching lightening bugs, playing tag, making bubbles, going for a swim, or just giggling with our best friend over an ice cream. Now it seems the only time we find time for fun is on a scheduled vacation. Often even those are less fun than we would like! So I encourage you to find your fun this summer in small, every day ways. Go run through that hose with your kids or grandkids, go outside and be marvelled by the lightening bugs, giggle over an ice cream (it can be dairy free if that its what your body likes!) with someone you love,. Be silly and playful. Let fun be your summer mantra again!
Here’s to Summer Fun!